The Gender Responsive Equitable Agriculture and Tourism (GREAT) Program is an AUD 33.7 million (equivalent to VND 600 billion) initiative that promotes gender equality and women’s economic empowerment, with a focus on the ethnically diverse provinces of Son La and Lao Cai in Vietnam’s north-west.
Funded by the Australian Government and delivered in partnership with the Government of Vietnam, GREAT is a four-year program (2017-2021) that works with the private sector, government agencies and NGOs to create opportunities for women within the agriculture and tourism sectors. These sectors have demonstrated strong economic growth and the potential to increase the economic participation of ethnic minority women.
GREAT seeks to influence change by:
- Improve the income of 40,000 women in Son La and Lao Cai.
- Contribute to the creation of 4,000 jobs for women.
- Leverage over $US 6 million in private sector investment.
- Increase the self-reported confidence, enthusiasm and self-esteem of 80% of women beneficiaries.
- Increase the number of women leading and managing businesses or cooperatives by 15%.