Terms of Reference
Tourism Development and Communications Specialist (National)
Hanoi, Son La and Lao Cai
10 July 2020
Deadline to apply
5pm 24 June 2020
With more than 35 years of experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
The GREAT Program is a flagship initiative of the Australian aid program in Vietnam and seeks to promote women’s economic empowerment (WEE) in the ethnically diverse north-west region of Vietnam. The primary beneficiaries are women living in the provinces of Son La and Lao Cai with a focus on economic inclusion for of women from ethnic minority communities.
The objectives of the Aus4Equality|GREAT Program are:
- Objective 1 – Empowering local women: Women living in local communities have increased capacity, space and choices to beneficially engage with agriculture and tourism businesses.
- Objective 2 – Inclusive businesses partnerships: Selected private sector actors within the agriculture and tourism sectors innovate to profitably and sustainably trade with more women entrepreneurs and operate in gender sensitive ways.
- Objective 3 – Improving sector governance and policy: Government agencies reinforce policies, and enact plans, regulations and services that enable more inclusive socio-economic development.
Tourism is one of GREAT’s focus sectors and we are working with a range of partners across the two provinces.
1. Sapa Town, Lao Cai Province
- Department of Culture and Information, Sapa Town: (community-based tourism in Ta Phin Village)
- Sapanapro and Red Dao Cooperative (herbal products, herbal bath service in Ta Phin village)
- Wild Orchid (local handicrafts in Sapa Town)
2. Bac Ha, Lao Cai Province
- CRED (community-based tourism)
- Viet Tu (flower valley and community-based tourism)
3. Moc Chau, Son La Province
- Department of Culture and Information Moc Chau Town (destination management, community-based tourism and agri-tourism)
- Action on Poverty (community-based tourism in Moc Chau)
COVID-19 has had a serious impact on the tourism industry across Vietnam, including GREAT target districts in Lao Cai and Son La. GREAT business partners operating in the tourism sector have experienced large reductions in revenue and community-based tourism sites has seen a dramatic fall in visitation. Tourism destinations in Sapa, Bac Ha and surrounding Moc Chau that rely largely on western tourists are unlikely to recover quickly unless they can pivot to attract new markets, with the international market unlikely to rebound for at least 12 months. Local tourist services will also need to ensure they are operating safely and can communicate effectively to visitors to ensure the risk of infections are minimised and tourists feel safe.
To meet the challenges facing the tourism sector, GREAT will support recovery activities in Sapa and Bac Ha in Lao Cai and Moc Chau in Son La. Implementation will be built around destination level COVID-19 response and recovery plans based on consultation with industry and ethnic minority women.
Cowater International is seeking to recruit a highly qualified consultant/firm to support GREAT partners to develop and implement the COVID-19 response and recovery plans across the three districts.
SUMMARY OF TASKS
Reporting to GREAT’s Tourism Advisor and working closely with GREAT tourism partners, support the partners to design and deliver COVID-19 response and recovery plans.
- Review background documentation and meet with GREAT team and partners to understand project objectives and the current context.
- Support partners to organise stakeholder consultation workshops (local government, tourism business, other relevant organisations) to identify impact of COVID-19, government response measures and potential solutions that will benefit ethnic minority women.
- In conjunction with GREAT tourism partners and relevant stakeholders, prepare concise COVID-19 response and recovery action plans including relevant targets and indicators to align with GREAT’s M&E requirements.
- Identify and support partners to leverage additional resources.
- Provide oversight on the implementation of priority activities.
- Monitor the effectiveness of implementation and make recommendation on adjustments and proposed additional support needed to address the needs of GREAT tourism partners and beneficiaries.
- Stakeholder consultation conducted in timely and professional manner.
- Concise COVID-19 response and recovery action plans for Sapa, Bac Ha and Moc Chau, including alignment with provincial and local government response plans and support.
- Additional resource mobilised for the plans.
- Oversight of partner implementation.
- Concise report prepared on results of activities and support partners to input to GREAT’s M&E system.
Demonstrated Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in communication and marketing.
- A strongunderstanding of tourism development and destination marketing.
- Relevant university qualifications such as marketing, tourism on business management.
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Strong reporting and writing skills.
- Practical experience on developing tourism in the north-west of Vietnam is an advantage.
Please apply by sending a CV and a Cover letter to email@example.com no later than 5pm 24 June 2020, with the position title in the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for interview.